The writing goes on

Yesterday was the first day of my next class in the MFA program.  It’s all about creative nonfiction.  I am excited to start this new class – as much as I was excited at starting the previous class.  I’m a bit more upbeat, this time – none of the anxieties from the last one. Not sure why that is.  Maybe because the texts are manageable – you know, they aren’t needing to be read in seven days – all 400 pages or 600 pages of them (ha ha).  And I’m looking at the writing assignment and it doesn’t seem too hard to do.  But what exactly do I write – something about a place in my past where something significant happened.  But there are many of these places.  And the common theme to them and what significance they had seem to be an unhappy event.  Like, in the kitchen – where things, events, scenes happen.  I can picture some movie where there’s a midnight conversation between a couple. What do they discuss at midnight?  Not a good sign, right?  So, I am still mulling this assignment over.  I have a few days to work on it.  I don’t really want to write about something depressing on my first assignment.  I think maybe I’ll write about our kitchen – the scene where I first kept my small puppy Duke when he joined our family. The crate, the gates at the entrances and exits.  His eager way of jumping and asking for treats. Once, my Dad dropped his blood pressure med on the floor and Duke, being so mouthy, pounced on it and ate it.  Oh, that was a hard day. It happened to be a Sunday.  So we had to take him to the ER at the vet hospital.  Let me say that it was a long day.  They said that they didn’t see anything abnormal with his blood pressure and heart rate.  They offered to observe him for four hours.  I didn’t want to do that – I was worried about the bill.  So, I said that since I used to work in a hospital, I would watch Duke.  And so they gave him some activated charcoal and let me take him home.  He looked pretty much like he wanted to vomit and fortunately, he vomited on his big oversized bed instead of my car seat.  I called my cousin Erwin and asked his advice.  Erwin said, “Walk him every half hour. That might help his blood pressure.” So we sat in the kitchen. For each half hour I’d take him for a walk in our neighborhood.  I’d watch him when he would start dozing – and I’d wake him up, and take him out again for a walk. I felt so tired by the end of the day.  I held him in my arms most of the time.  He was such a cute puppy.  And by the end of the day, almost midnight, Duke was still with me.  Yes, the vet said that the time span to watch Duke would be till midnight.  The kitchen was our little nest for Duke.  These days, if anything dropped to the floor accidentally, Duke won’t be the one to catch it.  He has learned his lesson.  Well, I think I already started writing my class assignment.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s